2018-05-24 / News Briefs

In brief

Be aware of ordinance

GAINES TOWNSHIP – The Township of Gaines has an ordinance to regulate the cutting of grass and weeds over 6 inches tall.

The township will cut those grasses and weeds at residences in violation and assess the costs to the property as a tax LEIN. – L.R.

Reserve pavilions

SWARTZ CREEK – Area residents planning events at Elms or Abrams parks must reserve pavilions. Rental fees are charged for events on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. There is a $100 refundable deposit. Information: 810-635-4464. – L.R.

Vacation checks

ALL AREAS – Heading off on vacation? Area police departments provide vacation/ vacant home checks.

In Gaines Township, request forms are available online at http://www.gainestownship.net/Departments/PoliceDepartment. aspx. The police department may be reached at 989-271-6039.

In Clayton Township, request forms are available online at http://www.claytontownship.org/category/police/. The department may be reached at 810-635-3230.

For residents of Mundy Township and the City of Swartz Creek, forms are available at http://www.metropolicegc.org/ vacation-checks. The department may be reached at 810-820-2190. – L.R.

Visible house numbers required

GAINES TOWNSHIP – Gaines Township residents are reminded that the township has an ordinance requiring all homes to have house numbers that are visible and readable from the roadway.

Houses located far off the road or in wooded areas must have addresses posted at the road.

Fire department and other emergency services have had trouble locating homes when responding to emergencies. Township authorities say this is a life and property issue and, to better serve the citizens of the township, they ask that residents comply with the ordinance and replace old, worn or faded house numbers. – L.R.

Notary service available

SWARTZ CREEK – Barbara Hyrman, assistant director at the Swartz Creek Area Senior Center, is a certified public notary. She offers notary service to members for free, and to non-members for a small fee. Call 635-4122 for appointments. – L.R.

Turn in old flags

SWARTZ CREEK – Area residents may deposit old, worn flags in the container outside Swartz Creek city hall, 8083 Civic Drive, for proper disposal. The retired flags are periodically burned in a special pit during a burning ceremony. – L.R.

Return to top

Copyright 2010-2018 The Swartz Creek View, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2018-05-24 digital edition